Monday, July 26, 2010

Sundays. The Best Days.

Sundays are by far my favorite day of the week. What is meant to be a day of rest is hardly that at all. Sundays are my busiest day of the week, and I would not have it any other way :)

First off, the day starts with a 0825 deadline to be in the Pilot (this is daddy's rule, if you're not there, you will have to find another way to church). Then we start the 35 minute venture to Church of the Highlands (check. it. out.). Now church does not start until 0930, but we have to get there early for good seats because the place gets packed out and at times there have been 13 of us attending/sitting together (God is good)!! Once there, we stop off a the cafe (where they brew Starbucks coffee!!!) and my drink of choice on Sunday morning is a White Chocolate Mocha. Once we are all caffeinated up, we head into the auditorium to take our seats and people watch. There is nothing I like more than seeing the interactions of people and how different people work. I also from time to time (along with the rest of the fam) am keeping an eye out for my future husband. There are beautiful, Godly men at the Highlands and I know that God has one of them in store for me. About five minutes prior to church starting, a countdown clock appears on the two giant screens one either side of the stage letting us know to take our seats because worship is about to start.

Worship is probably my favorite part of a Sunday (if I HAD to rank the events of the day). Pastor John leads worship and I love watching his facial expressions. This is a man who truly loves God. He knows how to take a normal worship song and make it feel like it is just us and God. I can feel the presence of God during worship and it makes me feel safe. There are other worship singers on stage and there love for God is evident. It's not like a concert or a show, it is true, true worship, in the way God intended it and I am thankful to experience that heart of worship every Sunday. There is rarely a time when I am not overcome with emotion from the Spirit of the LORD while worshipping Him.

Once worship ends, Pastor Chris comes to the stage and greets us. I don't even know how I can best describe Pastor Chris, but when he speaks, he has a way of speaking right to me. I know that it is the work of the Holy Spirit, speaking through him to my heart. Pastor Chris is funny, serious, God-fearing, wise, kind-hearted, sincere and an all around amazing guy. He is passionate about his calling to be a pastor (an equipper of ministers) and he is not afraid to tell you how it is. I feel unimaginably blessed whenever I get the chance to hear him speak. I am thankful that God has led me to church where I can experience Him and where i am surrounded by true followers of Christ.

When church is over, we sprint (well, not actually running, but a brisk walk) back to the car so that we do not get stuck in traffic on our way home (as there are literally hundreds of cars in the parking lots) for lunch and a bit of rest before frisbee at 1400.

Now, I played ultimate frisbee in college and I have missed playing since I am no longer enrolled at Whitworth University. When I saw that there was a frisbee small group, I was all about joining. I have only missed a couple Sundays because of either drill or because it was Daniel's last Sunday here before he left for Kuwait (ugh, 6 months without him). I love my group of frisbee brothers and (a few) sisters. Riley, Madison and Cory are regulars with me and Sarah came for the first time and might become a regular (actually, she BETTER become a regular). The one thing that I like about this group of frisbee players that differs from Whitworth is the values, morals and sportsmanship. We are not playing for titles or championships... we are just out there to have fun in the name of Jesus. My favorite peeps to see every week are Michael Hodges, Little Jonathan, Buxton, Dillian and Dylan. Once I actually get to Fort Benning, I am really going to miss my frisbee group and the amazing times we have had!!

Once frisbee is done, we head home for a quick shower (not even kidding, like 5 minutes), a bite to eat, and then Riley, Madison and I head back to Church of the Highlands for CORE. We get to worship again (YES!!) and then head to the Switch 56 room for an hour of intercessory prayer with God. I. Love. CORE!! This is where God is helping me to get out of my comfort zone and be fully enraptured with Him. CORE has allowed me to grow closer to God and closer to my new family down here. The love of God is with us in that room and it is awesome to see so many youths on fire for Christ. I wish you all could experience CORE and the powerful prayers that are spoken in that room over this generation. It is a marvelous thing to be a part of.

Once CORE is over, we head home to stay... so much traveling back and forth, but SOOOO well worth it. We are on such a God high when we get home that it is hard to think about anything else. Being surrounded in the presence of God is exhausting and exhilarating all at the same time. I am saddened that Sunday comes only once a week, but am honored that it comes at all. Wednesday night I spend with the youth and I would not have it any other way. God is doing a great work in my life and I cannot wait to take that energy with me to Fort Benning and begin my work on furthering the Kingdom of God there as well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment