Friday, July 23, 2010

A New Dawn. A New Day.

One year ago yesterday, I set out on a great adventure. Well, it's turned out to be a great adventure, I was scared out of my mind when it was happening. A year ago, I stepped off a plane into Columbia, South Carolina... headed to Fort Jackson with numerous soon-to-be soldiers like myself. We were tired, intimidated and a little scared (whether we wanted to admit it or not). We were huddled in the airport for what seemed like hours and hours, we left at around midnight and made it to Fort Jackson at about 0030 in the morning!! The drill sergeants that met us as we filed (rather quickly) off the buses said that since all of Reception would be up at 0400 for chow, we might as well just say up and kick this thing of right (well those are my own words, there was more yelling and more swearing in the real version, after all, this was basic training)! The next two weeks (yup, 14 days) at Reception were a living hell... no really, if Satan had come to earth, his United States HQ was the Reception Battalion at Fort Jackson!! I met a few cool people (original battle buddies) but mostly a ton of loud, rule bending, immature hooligans who did not seem to care about anyone but themselves. I kept thinking, is this the real Army? Is there going to be a better filtering system than childhood injuries and felonies? I kept hoping for the better and as I was moved with 120 other soldiers to Bravo Co 3-13 for my actual basic training, I experienced it.

As I started my journey through basic combat training in 4th Platoon (Hell Hounds!!!) I began to sort out those who I wanted to share my experience with and those who I wanted to stay away from. My bunk buddy Huffman and I were always going to be together, as was true for Davis and Steele. There were a couple people from my platoon that I knew I would never get along with... Baker and Shibusawa are just a coupl names that stick out now. As the weeks went by, my focus shifted and I began to rely more on God and surround myself with those individuals who did the same. It wasn't until BRM (basic rifle marksmanship) until I really saw who God had planned to come into my life. I was partnered with Baker for coaching while we zeroed our weapons for qualification. We both had a handle on how to make adjustments to the front sight post and rear windage knob in order to accurately shoot our targets from 25 meters. I went first and zeroed my weapon with relative ease, plus Baker was a pretty good coach when it came to aiming, keeping steady position, trigger squeeze and breathing. We switched places and the fun began. I coached her on the same four fundamentals and she was doing well with those, however, Baker was not getting the results that she should have been. Her weapon was double firing and jamming quite frequently. After she had a minor emotional breakdown, I called 1SG Broadwater over to observe her firing. He concluded that it was not Baker's fault, the weapon she was issued was not working properly. After issuing her a new weapon, Baker zeroed in about 10 minutes and the world was set right again and thus started our friendship.

Baker and I came to find out we had a lot in common, we had the same values and beliefs, the same love of football (although hers goes to a scary place sometimes), and we had the same MOS (42A which meant we got to stay together after basic training was over and go through AIT together). So as the course of basic played out fully, Baker became student 1SG and I was student assistant 1SG, we went everywhere and did everything together. When it came time to go to AIT, DS Matekovic informed the soldiers who were going to go to Airborne school that they were not going to AIT school right away, they were going to jump school. This presented a problem, for I was not Airborne... Baker was. As they separated us to go to our different AIT locations, Baker and I thought about what to do. We had envisioned being in the same platoon and going through class together, and this new bump in the road felt like the Rocky Mountains. After a few stressful text messages, I went over, grabbed Baker's bags and brought them to mine and told her she was going to AIT with me. Well, it turned out for the best since Airborne school is attended after AIT and Baker was in the right to go along with me.

After eight STRESSFUL weeks at AIT, Baker and I became closer than friends, almost like sisters. I formed a close friendship with her sister Riley and Mama (Wendy). AIT was stressful, not only because of the physical demands, but the soldiers there were almost worst than basic. I was in a room with 6 other females (Baker, Jackson, Colby, Guerrero, Baez and Salgado) and I got along with two of them. Baker and I were tested spiritually as well. If we had not had the encouragement of the Baker family and the Word of God, I would not have made it through and I know that Baker feels the same way. Even though that was one of the roughest times of my life, I would not give it up for the world. Baker and I now have a friendship that was written before each of us were even thought of. Just like Jonathan and David, our souls were brought together for the sole purpose of furthering the Kingdom of God. I feel truly blessed to have her and her family in my life.

Madison Jane Baker, you are one of the greatest friends I could have ever asked for and I didn't even ask. God placed you in my life and I thank Him every day for that fact. You have half my heart. I love you battle buddy!

1 Samuel 18:1-3
After David had finished talking with Saul, Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself. From that day Saul kept David with him and did not let him return to his father's house. And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment