Monday, August 9, 2010

It's Been A While!!

Sorry it's been a while since I have had a spare moment to sit in front of the computer and write my adventures on this blog. But let me tell you, I have some pretty amazing stories, one of which I will shard with you. I had drill this weekend (woo hoo for the weekend warriors!!), so I was busy at Fort McClellan for three days. We shot weapons (M16, 203 and the 249 SAW) and took 5-ton driving tests. This was also the first time I got to bond with my unit since my arrival. Out of all the people in my unit I bonded with six pretty stellar soldiers (Steele, Parker, Wallace, Morgan, Morrow and Hurst). On Saturday night, we were all hanging out in the parking lot having a couple beers and just talking about the days events. Side note, Wallace and I were the best 203 shooters in the whole 208th and 440th... Sgt. Ballard was bragging us up all afternoon :) Anyway, so there we were in the parking lot, having some good laughs when Morrow comes out of nowhere and asks me if he can ask a personal question. Since I get this a lot, I know what he is going to say. Then, instead of asking in a tactful way, Morrow blatantly says, "Are you gay?" After we stop laughing (uncontrollably I might add) I tell him no but he seems to not believe me. The whole rest of the night, he keeps asking me if I am sure that I am not gay. It was hilarious and annoying all at the same time. Why do people not believe me? It is actually ridiculous that stereotypes have made it possible for people to be so brainwashed that they find it hard to believe the truth. I don't know what more I can do in order for people to believe that I am not a homosexual.

The next thing I will add deals with some Fort Benning news that I received over the weekend. MSG Boston called me on Friday evening to discuss a new job opportunity. Instead of being at the Warrior Training Center in the S-1 shop doing paperwork all day, MSG Boston wants me to go to Air Assault School and then once I successfully complete the 10-day course I can stay on as a training NCO. He figured I might enjoy it better actually spending the time training soldiers and being more hands on. I agree. I believe that God has opened up this door for me so that I may be able to witness more to the soldiers and be a light in an otherwise dark world. It renewed my energy for wanting to go to Benning and get involved with the soldiers there.

Now about training for Air Assault School... yes I have to train to go to AAS!!! So I am on a rigorous training schedule that is every day except Sunday, which is my one day of rest. Basically, for graduation from Air Assault I have to run two miles in under 18 minutes in my ACUs and running shoes, complete two ruck marches (six miles in under an hour and a half and 12 miles in under three hours), and not be afraid of heights. So yeah, I will doing lots of running, walking and hanging from the pull up bars to build up my core and upper body strength. Today I started off slow with a 1.5 mile run in 13:43... in Bama heat, in pants... so, needless to say I am serious about this training. Mama and I mapped out a two mile trail so that I would not be doing to much repetitive running (which I hate almost as much as running itself) and for my first ruck march trial on Saturday. I am pretty excited about this opportunity although it is going to take much mind and body conditioning. Prayers are recommended and wanted/needed if you feel so inclined. I shall let you know later this week how the training is going. Deuces!

No comments:

Post a Comment